Friday, March 11, 2011

Finding my voice

Two weeks ago I learned about my social style. I am a relater. People are important to me and I take my time to diligently make decisions. I'd say that I fit pretty well into many of the qualities of this style except when it comes to my voice.

I can be bold. I can be LOUD! I worry about people's feelings, but the T.R.U.T.H. is much more important to me. At the same time, I tend to have a high emotional response to others. My speaking voice is not my writing voice. They say that everyone has a voice. A style. Now it's time to find mine.

I enjoy singing. I used to do it. There's a style and flow. It comes from everything inside of me. I would assume, although I can't be completely sure, that is true about writing also.



This should mean, or rather I assume it means, that when I begin to move my fingers to type the words that are in my head, that it's coming from more than just my brain. My body and heart and being is engaged. If it's coming from my heart, then it should be coming from my God.

That gives finding my voice a completely different turn. It's about finding out what my Lord wants me to say and how HE wants me to say it. Wow. That is an overwhelming thought. He loves me enough to care about my voice. He gave me a voice to speak, to sing, to pray. I am certain that in keeping my eyes on Him and my heart in tuned to His, that He will also give me a voice to write.

I may never say anything extremely profound. But I will learn to follow my Lord, and use the voice that He has given me.

A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart,
and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart.
For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of.
Luke 6:45

1 comment:

Grace B. said...

"If it's coming from my heart, then it should be coming from my God."

Very well said. Fantastic reminder!