Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Adventures in Bread Making

I made bread. From scratch. No bread maker. No mix. I used yeast, sugar, salt, flour, water, my hands, and my oven.

The recipe was so simple. It did not go as planned. I ran out of all-purpose flour so I was forced to use self-rising (even though I'd already added the yeast and salt). It wasn't becoming less sticky, so I kept adding flour after the four cups stated on the recipe.


Do I remove it from the stove? Do I leave it on? Do I just go for it and see what happens? Do I stir with a spoon or a whisk? WHY IS THIS NOT WORKING?!?!?!

Life gets this way. "I'm doing it right. I'm following the directions!" But why isn't it working how it's supposed to? If I give more, then I get more. If I love harder, then I'll be loved more. If this, then that. Round and round I go, not understanding why it isn't adding up how I thought.

I keep adding. And doing. And kneading. Then there is that calm, still voice:

"He says, 'Be still, and know that I am God;
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth.'" Psalm 46:10

Did that say "be still?" Seriously? But if I stop moving then nothing will get done! *deep sigh* I force myself to obey. I stop kneading the dough and simply allow it to rise. When I put it in the oven it smells so good! When I take it out, it tastes delicious. Simple and delicious. 

I put my worries to the side. I stop being busy and take time to pray. It feels so good. I sit with my Lord. Simple and wonderful.

Lessons in bread baking. Who knew?

No comments: